Aprilaire 600M with Manual/Automatic Control – Best Whole House Humidifier
Dry skin, carpet shock, and irritated sinuses all brought on by uncomfortably dry air can make the cold winter months almost unbearable for many people. Aside from aggravated health problems, dry air can damage wood floors and wood furnishings, as well as other parts of your interior. The Aprilaire 600M Whole House Humidifier is an excellent air treatment solution for keeping your home comfortably moisturized.
Aprilaire 600M Whole House Humidifier Features:
- Enhance comfort and properly humidify homes up to 4,000 square feet
- Easy mounting on either warm air supply or return air duct of any forced-air furnace
- Flow-through design helps keep unit clean and decreases the frequency of maintenance
- Installation kit required. Sold separately.
- List item
Why Choose a Whole House Humidifier?
Unlike portable humidifiers, which can only adequately deliver moisture to a single room, a whole house humidifier like the Aprilaire can supply spaces up to 4,000 square feet with soothing moisture. Directly installed into your home’s HVAC system, the Aprilaire uses a bypass flow-through humidification process to bypass the supply or return airflow. This creates air pressure that draws the airflow into the humidifier and through the moisturized Aprilaire humidifier pad.
The humidifier’s PerfectFLO™ water distribution tray then provides fast, thorough humidifier pad saturation for optimal water evaporation and humidification. This process ensures that up to 17 gallons of moisture at a 120-degree plenum temperature is evenly distributed throughout your entire home each day.
For convenient moisture adjustments, the Aprilaire bypass humidifier comes with the manual humidistat control. By properly humidifying your home, you not only protect your family and home from the damaging effects of dry air; you can also save on energy costs. Proper humidification creates a warmer, more comfortable environment at a lower temperature, which allows you to turn down your thermostat and conserve energy.
The Aprilaire 600M Whole House Humidifier is also exceptionally easy to maintain. Every one to three months, simply remove any mineral deposits from the humidifier pad and PerfectFLO™ tray and flush the drain hose to keep your humidifier operating at an optimal level and free of debris and harmful microorganisms.
Installing the 600M
The idea of installing a whole house humidifier system might seem like a daunting task. However, Aprilaire has made the process simple and easy to understand. This pre-assembled bypass humidifier mounts easily on either warm air supply or cold air return of any forced-air furnace. A humidifier installation kit (sold separately) is required for installation. The Aprilaire also comes with an installation video to help ensure that your humidifier is properly connected.
One User’s Experience with the Aprilaire 600M Whole House Humidifier
I purchased this unit based upon what others have rated it both here and on other sites. I have to say I don’t regret buying it. Does a great job and really not too difficult to install. I do have a couple of recommendations for installing:
1) Use a hand-held electric jig saw to cut holes instead of tin snips if possible. Makes cutting very fast and easy.
2) ABSOLUTELY buy the installation kit! Comes with everything you will need, including the sail switch (installs in the cold air return to detect fan blowing) and the humidistat for humidity %. Plus it has a generous water supply line w/valve and the 12v solenoid w/transformer. Also included is the round duct work w/adapter and damper. You actually get a lot for the extra dollars. I personally didn’t have a clue how I was going to install it until I viewed the instructional DVD that was supplied with it. Really helped me know what I was going to do before I began!
2 Ways To Install the Whole House Humidifier
1) install with air flow from cold air to warm side OR
2) air flow from warm side to cold air return. I used the latter for a couple of reasons. First I prefer warm air picking up humidity going into the cold air return and second, more importantly, if there is a water leaking or overflow it doesn’t drain into the heat chamber. Wiring is a snap and has worked perfectly since I first turned the furnace on. Very few moving parts to malfunction and well made product.
The Aprilaire Whole House Humidifier comes with the following components:
- Drain Connection
- Saddle Valve
- Water Supply Tubing
- Aprilaire 600M Replacement Humidifier Pad
- 24V Transformer and Wire
What You Will Need To Install This Whole House Humidifier
- Forced-Air Furnace
- Floor Drain in Furnace Room
- Aprilaire Humidifier Installation Kit
- Tin Snip
- Adjustable or Open-End Wrench
- Drill, Punch, or Awl
- Marking Pen or Pencil
Learn how to install the Aprilaire 600M Whole House Humidifier
What Others Are Saying About The Aprilaire 600M
Easy to install, works great! The humidifier comes with a humidistat, so you do not need to purchase one separately. I would recommend the installation kit.
I never had a whole house humidifier before but this one works great. I noticed that a few people have said that it doesn’t work. But how could it not work? It forces hot air through a water soaked pad. The trick is to let it run a few hours the first time you use it.
Installation was simple and straight forward. Originally I was looking to buy a portable humidifier, but this is what I ended up buying after looking. I was turned off a portable humidifier for the following reasons; Constantly filling and carrying water to unit, the energy it takes to run fan, cleaning and maintenance, potential for bacteria growth in many portable units. For the money, it makes better since to humidify your whole home automatically in the winter.
Click Here To Read More Customer Reviews on Amazon
Some customers griped about the installation manual saying it wasn’t clear enough. Some helpful ones suggested that a better one can be found on the Home Depot website – just search for the model Aprilaire 600M. In an isolated case, one customer said that everything was working but there was no change in humidity levels. No one can say for sure whether if it the problem lies with the humidifier itself or that particular user’s environment.